New Here? Blog Home SEO Information Sponsor Information Contact Us

Sunday, April 7, 2013

The grass is always greener....

Unless of course, you are smothering it out to make a very large garden!


Today was the first day it felt like spring here, cool breeze but low 60's, very sunny, and last night it rained just enough to make the ground nice and smooshy.

So, today after tending to all my little plant babies I have been diligently tending to in the basement, I trotted outside, despite my late season chest cold. Then I proceeded to bark orders at my room-mate as he threw boxes out of the garage to me so I could butcher them and put their splayed carcasses over the ground to block out the grass and sun. This kind of killed 2 birds with one stone (if you'll excuse the expression, killing and butchering cardboard boxes is one thing, I would never kill birds I didn't intend to eat and never ever with a rock, unless the most dire circumstances required it!) because it also helped to start cleaning out the horrible garage of atrocities.

For the past month I have been diligently been doting over my baby seedlings, most of them are doing well, although I am having absolutely no luck with my tall english lavender. On the bright side I did manage to get my dwarf lavender and my rosemary to all germinate, so I feel pretty accomplished!

Also I have several colors and varieties of tomatoes happily growing like crazy from current sized red and yellows; to very early yield bush tomatoes and all the colors of cherry tomatoes in between. I have had tremendous luck with these cherries in the past, with their vines growing 7 feet tall/ long so I am excited to see how they do in the new garden with better soil!

This year I was a coward and did not even attempt broccoli and cauliflower, but what I am attempting is brussel sprouts! I am very excited as they are probably my second favorite vegetable, and I have not had the pleasure of finding let alone eating a purple brussel sprout, but fates willing I will this fall and they will be glorious!


Last but not least, my little peppers although late to the party are still chugging along, I hope I can protect them this year from the bunny armada that makes it's home base in the back yard. Only time will tell!

Until next time my kittens!

No comments:

Post a Comment