New Here? Blog Home SEO Information Sponsor Information Contact Us

Friday, October 26, 2012

A magical review = Lime Crime Serpentina and Poisinberry


Now, I am probably tardy to the party as I usually am, however, if I am there still might be some other little ponies that are slow to leave the gate too. Today I am going to be reviewing 2 lipsticks by the fantabulous Lime Crime!

When I fist found their website, I was instantly smitten, and I didn't even hesitate to order their Halloween edition lipsticks: Poisonberry & Serpentina. After my order I was rooting around on-line trying to find some reviews and WOW, people seem to really love or really, REALLY, hate them. There seemed to be some drama that went down, but I am not one to buy into needless drama, not to trivialize other peoples experiences, but I prefer to make my own opinions on things, so with that in mind I eagerly awaited my pretty purple box to arrive in the mail.

I have the loveliest mail carrier. He always brings my packages right to the door and we always chat about what I am getting. This time he walked up and said "ordering unicorns for halloween again?" I laughed out loud. "Yup," I replied, "actually it's unicorn infused lipstick." I quipped back. He smiled and left, what he didn't know was of course I was being serious.

Lime Crime was founded in 2008 by Doe Deere who adorably calls her self "The Unicorn Queen". Thus in my mind any make up she makes should of course be infused with unicorn magic, or at least cruelty free/ vegan which these lipsticks claim to be. They are PETA certified cruelty free, however I have not seen my happy little leaping bunny friend on any of their packaging nor are they listed on their website (gocrueltyfree.org), so if you are very stringent in your cruelty free/ vegan beliefs you may want to tread with caution or do more research. I am not extremely stringent, I still after all do eat meat/ animal products and although I do not condone animal testing or cruelty and prefer to use cruelty free brands some I use are not because I just have not found a cruelty free brand that works (ie Yves Saint Laurent faux cils mascara, is the only mascara that doesn't irritate my eyes/ makes my lashes actually exist.) So with that in mind, I will forge ahead with this review!

First I just want to say, as with any very brightly colored "opaque" lipstick, there is a certain technique to putting them on and getting them to stay where they are suppose to. I accomplish this by first brushing my lips with my tooth brush every morning to exfoliate, then I slather my lips with EOS lip balm and go about my other make up. Once it has soaked in, I line the outside of my lips with consealer to stop dreaded feathering followed by lining and filling in with a lip liner that is close to the same color. Then with a lip brush I carefully reline my lips, then it's time to fill in! After the first layer of lipstick is all in place I blot with a paper towel and dust with a very light layer of translucent powder, then a second coat of lip stick, more blotting, more powder, then a third and final coat, blot and off you go. I also try to let it all set up for about 30 minutes before I eat or drink anything, but it's not super critical as long as you know how to eat/ drink with lipstick on!

With all that in mind, I had fantastic results using both these lipsticks. They are very creamy and don't dry out my lips too much, as far as staying power both of these colors made it through with flying colors. 8 hours and one work shift later, they both were still going strong.  I adore the cute purpley-pink  unicorn laden packaging, the color pay off is fantastic, and they staying power phenomenal! In the pictures they look a bit patchy, and I think it must just be my cheap digital camera because honestly when on, they do not look patchy at all in real life.  My final take is that I adore both these lippies and hope to amass many more in the future. I think my next splurge will be the "Lip Noir" set which includes a classic red, classic black and very intriguing grayish lilac aptly named "chinchilla".

With all that lets get on to the images. I am sorry the white balance is all over. I really need to get a macro lens for my real camera.

Well packaged and adorable! 

Even more cute packaging!

Extra kudos because then inside of the box is my favorite color green.

Hooray for disco unicorns dancing around on my lipsticks!

Poisonberry. Yum.

The bottom labels are very easy to read.


Serpentina. Slurp!

Again a really nice bottom label.

SWATCHES! On my hand though, no prep just raw color. Poisonberry stained my hand a bit.

Serpentina on my mouth. These photos just really don't do this fantastic green justice.

Poisonberry on my mouth. Again, just not doing this beautiful color justice.


Serpentina. 

More Serpentina.


Poisonberry. This is after ALL day at work, and trust me it was a long day, if you can't ell from how I look!


More poisonberry. 

3 comments:

  1. Love them!! Poisonberry is sold out rt now but im def getting serpentina! Beautiful colors♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both so gorgeous! I can't wait for st. pats day so I can rock some serpentina!

      Delete
  2. about how long did it take to get your order? i placed my order 5 days ago and it still hasn't shipped!

    ReplyDelete